Saturday, August 27, 2011

A "taste" Of My Kitchen Makeover-Budget Savvy Style

Hello Friends!!

I have a few pictures that I would like to share with you of my budget savvy Kitchen makeover. Honey chile let me warn you, the before pictures are a hot mess! Quite terrifying if you ask me. LOL! We are FAR from finished with our Kitchen, but I wanted to share with you how something as simple as a can of paint can take an atrocity of a room, to fabulosity all in the matter of a couple of hours. I am so indecisive when it comes to choosing paint colors for the walls, so I have yet to decide on a color for the kitchen, so please bare with me. Also, I still need to decide on:
a blacksplash
countertops
new light fixtures
purchase new stove
purchase new above range microwave
purchase new dishwasher
And install wainscoting in the eating area
Remember, I am going for a Coastal look in my home, so I want to execute it right. For now here is a start to our transformation. I hope you don't have nightmares due to my horrific before pictures (lol). You might have to sleep with a nightlight after viewing these (haha). Enjoy!


 See, told ya! Hotmess.org! LOL
 My kitchen lacks storage, so hubby and I are going to add either a peninsula where that iron bakers rack is to extend out the counter tops and add more lower cabinet space, or add another pantry cabinet.
 I don't understand for the life of me why the builder chose to add those GAH AWFUL tiles above the microwave. (UPDATE: Those tiles are now painted out black to blend in with the rest of the cabinetry. My OCD  eyes couldn't take seeing that horrible rectangle of awkward tiles anymore)
 I forgot to snap a before shot of this side of the kitchen. Trust me you aren't missing anything, it was just as horrific as the other before pics. (UPDATE: Big Bertha (What? You don't name your 'fridge? lol) finally kicked the bucket so she is no longer with us. We miss her late night weird loud noises  songs that she use to sing to us while we were trying to sleep. And she was such a jokester, she would chill our food one day, and the next day she would take a break from work. Honey chile, she did this for about a week. So we had to part ways with her. Her attitude was a mess! We now have one of those cute 'Fridge-on-top-freezer-on-bottom style refrigerators. The only thing is...it's white! My little heart was set on stainless, but since those are special order only for the size we wanted, and I couldn't wait for 2 weeks for it, I had to take what was in stock (*insert sad face*)...OH well, work with what you have right?
 I added the lights just to see what it would look like, but I am going to purchase a more slim under cabinet lighting, and also add trim around the bottom of the upper cabinets to hide the under cabinet lighting. I also added a china cabinet where the iron bakers rack use to be. It will live there temporarily.


I want to knock down those upper cabinets to the left to open up the space a bit more, but I'm starting to think I should take off the doors and do some cool open shelving to house my purrrty dishes, or have glass put in the center of the doors, or perhaps chicken wire. I don't know....we'll see what I come up with.


I hope you enjoyed my budget savvy Kitchen Makeover.




2 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is coming along lovely! I absolutely love the black cabinets. I sort of wish we had did black instead of white now. The rustoleum transformation kit's white version seems more creamish...I want a clean look. You definitely have that going on in your kitchen;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was contemplating doing white cabinets because I thought the darker cabinets would make my (already small kitchen) appear smaller. I'm glad that I went with my gut and painted them black. My next step will be to find the perfect wall color. Wish me luck! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete